What You Need to Set Up a Home Office

What You Need to Set Up a Home Office

Just because your office is home based does not mean you shouldn't take the time to set it up properly. Equipping your home office properly will save you time and you will be much more efficient when you start getting busy as a self employed person.

Basics of your home office

Desk ~ shop around and check different styles, sit at them in the store and picture yourself working at the desk and be realistic as to what will work best for you. Are there any drawers? How is the keyboard placement, is there room to spread out your work, where will you place your monitor, printer, speakers, calculator and telephone. How will it fit in the room you have designated for your office or work space?

Filing cabinet ~ how many drawers will there need to be? Are your files legal or letter size? Don't forget to take the measurements of your home office to ensure your filing cabinet will fit and be placed for easy access.

Storage cabinet ~ you will need a place to store paper, ink for printer, stationery, envelopes, spare pens, pencils, etc. This was one piece of furniture I neglected until my floor starting overflowing with all the bits and pieces of things I needed to operate my Virtual Assistant Business.

Book case ~ how many reference books do you have? You will want them to be easily accessible. I never have enough books so am constantly making space for new books I purchase. EBooks are so much easier and don't take up any space except on your computer. My problem is that I love real books so I can touch them and enjoy reading them while curled up in a chair or bed.

Computers ~ buy the best you can afford and consider what you will be using it for when choosing its capabilities. Don't scrimp on this because it will be the basis of your home business and your lifeline once you get started.

Monitors ~ have one as large as you can to make it easier to see - don't strain your eyes.

Chair ~ probably one of the most important items. Make sure it is comfortable for sitting for long periods of time.

Printer/fax/copier/scanner ~ do you need these to be separate items? Buy a printer that can take care of it all. I have a HP Photosmart C7280 All-in-one and just love it. The qualities of my photos are great, cartridges are easy to replace, the functions are easy to use and does not take up too much space. I also have a HP Laser 4L that I have had for years and it just won't quit. Personally I always research HP printers first before purchasing since I have had such good luck with them.

Calculator ~ I have a desk top calculator and find it handy to use. I can't take it with me and it needs electricity but has a tape if needed and it works for me. I also have a small battery calculator that I carry in my briefcase.

Shredder ~ with all of the scams and identity theft happening I can't stress enough how important it is to shred your confidential material. I don't throw away anything with my name or information on it without shredding it first.

Lamps ~ have good lighting on your desk to prevent eye strain. Be comfortable since you will be spending a lot of time in this environment being productive as a self employed business owner.

Miscellaneous ~ stapler, 3 hole punch, pen/pencil holder, scissors, ruler, tape recorder. I also have a paper cutter, laminator, pencil sharpener, radio, clock, telephone, notebooks and camera.

Software ~ I use MS Office since Word is my favourite word processor and most of my clients use it also. Have a good accounting software ~ my preference is QuickBooks but others are just as acceptable. Check with your accountant to see what he/she prefers.

Okay that's the basics ~ the rest is up to your own personal preference. Your home based office must be set up properly for you to work efficiently. Don't scrimp on the necessities since it will only waste time. Your office equipment could make the difference between being a successful home based business or not.

 
Copyright © 2013. Natalie Interior - All Rights Reserved
Proudly powered by Blogger